6 songs to save a planet inhabited by the likes of Jason Mraz and all those other pricks



I've considered Justin's Top 5 albums post an open invitation to draw up a list of my own. What follows are six of the best quiet songs you may ever hear.

1. Neil Young - "Powderfinger"


Powderfinger - Neil Young

This version is from the unreleased Chrome Dreams album, recorded circa 1977. The production values are basically nil, but it's never been wise to go to Mr. Young for your hi-fi fix. What I love most about this song is the lyrics. Very evocative. It's probably the saddest song I've ever heard in my life, thus making it my all-time favorite song.

2. Nick Drake - "From the Morning"



Nick Drake represents one of life's most incomprehensible anomalies. Here was a tall, handsome guy who wrote some of the world's most beautiful songs and he simply could not get laid. "From the Morning" is the last song on his final album, Pink Moon.

3. Elbow - "Asleep in the Back"

Video at Yahoo! Music

The first Elbow song I heard. Nice organ part, nice lyrics. Great video, too. Who directed this?

4. Townes Van Zandt - "Waitin' Around to Die"



If you watch one clip in this post let it be this one. I don't really know much about Townes Van Zandt at all, but this song is outstanding and the performance is stunning. The old dude sitting in back even starts to cry. Unbelievable.

5. Cat Power - "All I Have To Do Is Dream" / "Blue Moon"


Dreams - Blue Moon - Cat Power

In which Chan Marshall sings the shit out of two absolute classics that happen to share the same four chords.

6. British Sea Power - "When I Go Out"



This is an obscure B-side by a band who were indie rock darlings back in 2003 or 2004. Their latest album, Do You Like Rock Music? is way better than most critics made out. When I go outside these days almost everything seems strange.


Okay, well done me. Pat on the back.

3 comments:

sarah | April 20, 2009 at 12:00 AM

if it's not loud it's not worth it

Lord Horatio | April 20, 2009 at 12:08 AM

will you just admit your fascism?

sarah | April 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

admitted